Accounts to Help You Reach Your Goals
Free Savings Accounts
We’re here to help you achieve your financial milestones and long-term goals. Let’s get there together.
- Best for standard savings
- Save any amount and get a competitive rate
- $1 minimum initial deposit
- Checking or spending overdraft protection
Summer or Holiday Saver
- Best for saving for an event
- Higher dividend rates
- $20 minimum initial deposit
- $20 – $500 monthly transfer balance requirement1
Mission Fed has the savings account that’s right for you, whether you’re saving for a trip, special occasion, college or are working toward your home in San Diego. Earn more on the money you save with our savings accounts. All of our savings accounts feature:
- Competitive rates
- 24/7 access via mobile or online banking
- Helpful customer service via phone, email or secure web chat
Open a Savings or Money Market Account TodayOpen an Account
|Minimum Balance||Dividend Rate||APY|
|Savings Account (Any Balance)||0.03%||0.03%|
|Money Market ($2,500 - $49,999)||0.03%||0.03%|
|Money Market ($50,000+)||0.05%||0.05%|
|High Yield Money Market ($0 - $49,999)||0.10%||0.10%|
|High Yield Money Market ($50,000 - $99,999)||0.20%||0.20%|
|High Yield Money Market ($100,000 - $224,999)||0.30%||0.30%|
|High Yield Money Market ($225,000+)||0.40%||0.40%|
How to Open A Savings Account
When you’re ready to open an account, you’ll need
– Proof that you live, work, worship or go to school in San Diego County (see full eligibility on our Membership page)
– Your Social Security number
– Two forms of ID, including at least one valid government-issued ID
– Youth accounts only require one form of ID
– A small minimum opening deposit – just $1 for standard or youth accounts or as little as $20 for Summer or Holiday accounts
Choose how you'd like to open an account:
Once you are approved, you can begin saving for your future!
Savings Account FAQs
Both accounts are important for managing your personal finances. But they each have different purposes.
- Spending/checking accounts are great for everyday expenses. You can use a debit card with your account for daily transactions like grocery shopping. However, they traditionally offer lower dividend rates.
- A savings account helps you keep your savings separate from money you intend to spend on daily expenses and bills. This helps prevent you from accidentally dipping into money you meant to save, as well as allowing you to earn more interest on the growing balance in your account.
Learn more about our spending and checking accounts.
Depositing or transferring money into a savings account helps you earmark money for special occasions or goals. Because you won’t be withdrawing money from your savings daily like you would a checking account.
A savings account allows you to earn more interest on the growing balance in your account, making it easier to reach your financial goals. Mission Fed savings accounts have great features that help you save, including the ability to categorize your savings and add savings goals.
A savings account is designed to hold the money you don’t intend to spend right away. You can earn interest on savings and enjoy additional benefits depending on the kind of savings account you choose and the amount you’re able to save.
Yes! At Mission Fed, all of our savings accounts earn interest. Please see our rates page for current interest rates.
At Mission Fed, we offer a variety of savings accounts so you can choose what’s best for your lifestyle. We offer the option of opening up to seven standard savings accounts, so you can have multiple accounts with unique names and savings goals.
Experts recommend saving between 10 and 30% of your income each month. Use your savings account to build up an emergency fund and save for retirement and other long-term savings goals. This can help you with unexpected expenses and set you up for a comfortable future.
Use mobile or online banking to easily transfer funds into your savings account, or set up a direct deposit right from your paycheck so you don’t even have to think about it.
Wondering how to save money for a house or a new vehicle? Make sure you plan ahead and budget for big expenses. Whether you need to save money for a car, a new home or a big trip, planning ahead is key so you can save over time without going into debt. Set up unique savings accounts for big expenses so you won’t spend the money on other things. Finally, take advantage of cash gifts, bonuses or other situations in which you get the money you hadn’t counted on and put that money directly into your savings account to build your balance quickly. If you find yourself surprised by a sudden expense, these are the situations in which you’ll be happy you built up an emergency fund.
Must meet membership and account criteria. All loans subject to credit approval. Rates, terms, and conditions subject to change without notice. Mobile and data rates apply when using mobile banking. Interactive calculators and their information are made available to you as self-help tools for your independent use. They are not intended to provide financial or investment advice and may not be applicable to your specific circumstances. All examples are hypothetical and are for illustrative purposes only.
1A monthly transfer of $20 – $500 is required or fees may apply.
2 Accounts for minors under the age of 16 require a person of majority age (18 and older) to be joint on the account. Ages 16 & 17 with a valid government-issued ID do not require a parent / legal guardian joint signer.
3 Minors aged 0-12 are eligible for the Mission 2 $ave program which earns 5% APY on the first $500 on deposit.
4 ATM withdrawals are excluded from the EasySave program, and the daily EasySave transfer will not occur if there are insufficient funds to cover the full amount. Returned purchases will not affect the EasySave transfer amount. Business accounts are not eligible for the EasySave Program. Mission Fed reserves the right to change, modify or cancel this program at any time without prior notice.