5 things you may not know about Mission Fed
You know that Mission Fed is a credit union in San Diego. And that Mission Fed offers financial products and services to help you meet your financial goals. But, there may be some things about your favorite credit union that surprise you. We thought you’d enjoy these fun Mission Fed facts:
- Our very first office was at a borrowed desk at the San Diego County Board of Education offices in Linda Vista in 1961. Today, we have 27 convenient branches throughout the county, but we started as a twinkle in San Diego’s eye! Also, when we were first chartered, our name wasn’t Mission Federal Credit Union—it was Public Schools Federal Credit Union.
- Mission Fed’s first loan was for a mere $100. It’s hard to imagine a time when a loan for $100 was needed—especially in San Diego! Times change, though, and we now offer a variety of loans, including Auto Loans, Credit Cards, Home Loans and Commercial Real Estate Loans.
- Even if you don’t have an Auto Loan with us, you can take advantage of our usually lower-than-other-providers Mechanical Breakdown Protection insurance. It’s just one of the many benefits of being a Mission Fed member. Other benefits include low or no fees, lower loan rates and access to over 30,000 fee-free CO-OP ATMs nationwide (including at most 7-Elevens®).
- Mission Fed was awarded the prestigious 2013 Outstanding Philanthropic Corporation of the Year Award from the Association of Fundraising Professionals, San Diego Chapter. This was an absolute honor because giving back to the community where our members live and work is something that is very important to us. From grant presentations to event-specific support, at Mission Fed we assist the community in many different ways.
- With more than $2.5 billion in assets and 174,000 members, Mission Fed is actually the largest, locally based financial institution that exclusively serves San Diego County. And, we’re the 55th largest credit union in the country (by assets).
We look forward to sharing lots of information with you in our upcoming posts. Thank you for choosing Mission Fed and stopping by to check out our blog!
This article contains links for websites that Mission Fed does not control. Mission Fed is not responsible and does not assume liability for the operations, content, links, privacy or security policies of third party websites.
More Blog Posts
Trends for Getting Cash in 2018
In 2018, credit union technology allows you to access cash in exciting new ways. Person-to-person payments are becoming more and more popular, while cardless ATM technology is being developed by ATM providers. Want to earn cash on money you’re already spending? Make...
Believe in Mission Fed
We mean it when we say that your success is our bottom line. We’ve put our members first since 1961, and are proud to offer knowledgeable service and ethical practices to over 200,000 members. We believe in our members, and our members believe in the benefits and...
Why choose a Credit Union rather than a Bank?
More people are looking for alternatives to big banks, such as smaller, local credit unions. But, what are the differences between them? Learn more with our “Banks versus Credit Unions” infographic.
Is Online Banking Safe?
Granted, most things in life come with risk. The chances of you being subjected to a real life bank heist are slim; but it’s always worth knowing the ways in which you can help protect yourself and stay secure.
Search for Mission Fed Branches and ATMs, or 30,000 CO-OP Network ATMs Nationwide